Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Schweitzer's patriotism beyond question

Look at the way the Governor reacted to the Fourth of July, as pointed out in the Billings Gazette:

One of [Schweitzer's] earliest memories of deep connections to his country came years ago, at the age of 7, Schweitzer recalled. ... [The Cuban Missile Crisis] was the first time he felt fear, understood what being an American was and that the United States was vulnerable, he said.

"We were Target Zero," he said. "I can remember my emotions, the consequences of those missiles arriving in Cuba. That's young to be burdened with that. ... That emotion will never leave me."

All these years later, patriotic moments are still very personal and moving, he said.

"This may sound a little hokey, but every time I go to a sporting event or to a public gathering and I see the colors being presented and hear the 'Star-Spangled Banner,' I get a little choked up," he said. "It brings tears to my eyes."
As always, Schweitzer is the Democrats' cure-all, nimbly finding the words to eliminate the Dems' perceived patriotism problem. He may not have served in a war, but Republicans had better watch their backs if they think they can tar this one with being anti-patriotic.

Sort of goes along with Armando's argument that Democrats need to exude tough more than anything else if we are to win back our country.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruff Limblog said...

How about setting up a 'Pledges' page?

I like Schweitzer and I'd like to show support for him by pledging some support when he decides to go for the brass ring.

I don't think you have to actually take any money in right now and get yourself all tied up with campaign finance regulations, but I think pledges could help show support.

I'll start by pledging $100.00 right now.

LL

July 06, 2005 7:02 AM  
Blogger Nonpartisan said...

LL, I'll work on this. I'll try to get something set up within the month. Do you know of any free software or web products we could use for this?

July 06, 2005 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment